Alice and Martin Provensen’s illustrations for the Iliad and Odyssey: A Giant Golden book.
I think I died of excitement when I saw these. How beautiful are they? I am super disappointed that it’s out of print too.
baby sleipnir prancing like the good eight legged horse that he is!
Mother, he is a gentleman.
He is a builder with bricks of moonlight.
He knows the secret places of the earth.
He washes the sleep from the eyes of the souls.
He lets them look on beauty.
He lets them tell him they hate him.
In the mornings, I gather berries and apples.
I scrub his back with rind.
I weave spider-spit, eyelash.
He talks in his sleep: pudding, fire, discus,
the things he misses.
He breathes, Your body is my orchard.
I am undulating grass.
I am a field of wheat he parts with his fingers.
Poppies bloom in my veins.
When he kisses me, he tastes pomegranate.
The night crawls nearer.
The moans of the dead roll and swell.
Mother, we are well.
Since Ragnarok didn’t end up happening, I figure this is what happened.
Somebody did the thing.
After all, words are what remain when all the deeds have been done. Words can shatter faith; start a war; change the course of history. A story can make your heart beat faster; topple walls; scale mountains – hey, a story can even raise the dead. And that’s why the King of Stories ended up being King of the gods; because writing history and making history are only the breadth of a page apart.
Alas, at the last minute Ragnapäper beat Ragnarök
A Human’s Guide To Surviving the Twilight of the Gods
- If you should see a Valkyrie, refrain from asking if you’re going to get to go to Valhalla because you did a heroic thing that one time. Trust me, it wasn’t, and Valkyries do not like being asked idiotic questions.
- If you notice an oddly large wolf running loose in the company of a large snake, please stay calm, ignore it, and go about your business.
- There may be earthquakes. Please follow standard earthquake safety procedures. Please do not look directly at the sky for more than a minute during the Last Battle of the Gods, as this may cause blindness, discomfort, itching, and a sense of hopelessness.
- Prophecy is prophecy and cannot be tampered with—so no matter how much you want to interfere in any and all battles of the gods, refrain from doing so.
- DO NOT ENGAGE ANY PERSON OR ANIMAL WITH CHARACTERISTICS THAT INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: red hair, oddly green eyes, good-looking, quick/sharp wit, suspicious behavior, etc.
- Since only two humans will survive and there are about six billion of you on Midgard, your odds are not good. If your name is Lif or Lifthraser, please meet at your designated emergency area and evacuate to Mimir’s Holt ASAP. If not, please stay inside your homes and die with honor. Valhalla is very nice. We have some brochures that may be ordered at this address: Odin Box 84, Valhalla, Asgard, Nine Realms, Yggdrasil.
- If legions of the undead are swarming your home, you are more than welcome to lodge a complaint with Hela, although you may not live to see any results. We apologize for the inconvenience.
…technically a lot of these are ‘half hoofed thing half person’ creature types but ‘centaur’ is easier, let’s not argue the semantics
That post uh… really took off. Wow. Hi, new followers! Thanks for all the messages! Here’s some better sized pics and captions detailing the breeds/species for anyone who’s curious. Also a bonus moose-lady who’s prolly eyeing up a moose-guy’s sweet rack.
Page 1 of 24